Saturday, May 30, 2009

REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES


Last night I went to the Museum of Fine Arts with my niece, Ellie. We drove in, got a parking space right behind Wentworth (a major coup) and walked over behind the School for the Museum of Fine Arts. Outside the main entrance is a rhino sculpture done by Katherine Ward Lane Weems, a former student, c. 1937. This rhino, whose sisters flank the Harvard bio labs, was based on a female rhino in the Bronx Zoo, but with the measurements of the largest recorded specimen. This is a huge sculpture, which means the real rhino was YIKES!




After getting in, we started to look around and decided to go check out the modern art gallery. Modern is my favorite era so I was really looking forward to it. We were looking at works over by a Matisse painting, in front of which there were three twenty-somethings (top) discussing the model in the painting, Reclining Nude, 1925 (bottom). They were disgusted by how FAT she was! I was, and am still, astounded by this. They completely missed the point of the painting and sounded, well, STUPID!

The lovely and talented Ellie wanted to go and see her favorite RENOIR (Monet, i can't believe I wrote Monet!), so we trekked up to the 19th-century rooms to have a look-see. She says she could look at it forever, so here she is, frozen in time, looking at it forever! Neither Monet<>

After looking at everything we wanted to see inside, we went into the gift store, where Ellie purchased the poor person's art, postcards! I procured a copy of a photography book I was looking for, The Photographer's Eye by John Szarkowski. Not only am I trying to learn how to use my new camera and taking a lot of pictures, I'm reading about theory and looking at the work of others. It has been very interesting. Of course, looking at old work and the quality of the photos makes me want to learn how to use a film camera now. Oh well, as my friend Jill says, in for a penny, in for a pound!


The art doesn't end after you've exited the building. Among the pieces outside, there are two giant baby heads by Antonio Lopez Garcia that are so cool! I love these baby heads! They remind me of a certain little girl who lives in Middleboro.
And here we have a photo of the Zen garden which was closed by the time we got there. I had to sneak the camera through the fence while Ellie held the branches back to get this secret shot. I love the Zen garden; it's so peaceful even though it's in the middle of the bustling fenway.
Sidewalk graffiti for my sweetie. Hey, that rhymes! I sing this song to him quite often so I thought it was appropriate that I get this shot.
This is a photo of traffic going home on Route 3 south. I love all the movement and colors.

3 comments:

  1. it's a renior, not a monet XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, now worries! just thought i'd let you know so the art powers that be don't come and get'cha!!!

    muahahahaha...ha.

    ReplyDelete