Tuesday, June 2, 2009

PLYMOUTH CORDAGE COMPANY

1824-1965

I went down to the old cordage buildings today to poke around. My grandfather worked there as a chemist and then as an administrator for many years. My mom's family lived in one of the big houses on Holmes Terrace. We've established that I love old, worn-out buildings, and I love my family, so this place has a double attraction for me.

This sign is out where the public can still see it.

This building (and I don't even know how many more just like it) is sided with painted metal shingles. The peeling and rusting give it a really cool texture.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but it made me think of a surrealist painting.

Smokestacks are creepy. And these windows are all glassless.

Always going to find graffiti on abandoned buildings, most of it was a waste of time, but I thought this was funny.

There were train tracks here back in the day, but these aren't original. These are part of the commuter rail station that now resides at the back of the cordage.
I don't know what you call this, it's a guide for a big sliding door.

I couldn't get any closer to these buildings, but I really wanted to. There is a marina in the same area and you can't get in without a password for the keypad.

Wonder what those doors are for.
The tallest building in Plymouth? So the historical site says, six stories.
It was a beautiful day and I could have stayed there for hours snapping away. I'm going back, to see if I can get into any of the empty buildings. Don't tell anyone!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome photos...Really bring me back. Actually, I'm not so sure most of those tracks aren't pretty vintage (if not original). I think that line was mostly intact, and just needed some upgrading.

    Spent a lot of time along those tracks as a kid, mostly a bit further south, from the bottom of castle st. down to the old train station at the end of the line. Quite an evening when that place burned down.

    Anyway, thanks for the awesome post!

    ReplyDelete