Friday, May 15, 2009

BONEYARDS

I am slightly obsessed with cemeteries. I love to walk through graveyards and read the headstones. I love the verses, the details, the confidence that they were going to heaven, back to god.

These pictures were taken in Mansfield and show what happens to all the lovely decorations that the living bestow upon the dead for the holidays. It was a pile of trash, not well hidden, full of wreaths, plastic flowers, stuffed animals, dead plants, and more than a few fast-food containers.









I've been interested in death rituals for a long time; the way we deal with death, our fear of it, and the afterlife. Personally, though I miss my loved ones who have died, I think it's the next great adventure. Or, it's nothingness, I can't decide. Fortunately, I don't have to decide, there is nothing I can do to stop it, so I've decided to embrace it. I just hope I don't have to embrace it for a long, long time. I'm having way too much fun here!

1 comment:

  1. WTF? Don't they have a dumpster? This is inexcusable.

    ReplyDelete