Wednesday, December 16, 2009

MEMOIRS

I've been taking a memoirs writing workshop with my mom for the last few months. She is a prolific poem writer and wants to get them organized in a coherent manner to make a book for all us kids. I'm her typist, but thought taking it with her would help with my blog writing.

The last assignment was to write about somebody who has made a difference in our lives. I don't even know where to begin with that. I've met a lot of people in my life and most of them have been influential in one way or another. I guess we're supposed to pick the person who has had the greatest impact on us, but there are so many people from whom to choose! Needless to say, I have not even started this assignment, I might never.

I feel that everyone I come into contact with makes some difference in my life, good or not so good. And the not so good probably have some positive affect, even if I'm not immediately, or ever, aware of it. I am one of those people who thinks that everything happens for a reason, so that jerk who cut me off in traffic this morning could have saved my life, but I'll never know! There have been a lot of people I have never met and never will who have impacted my life.

Animals too have had a huge impact on my life. I love my cats like they are my children and I still miss the kitties that have gone on to the giant catnip field in the sky, Windy, Max, Miles, Alec, Winston, all my precious babies. Fish in an aquarium, stray birds and mice I've tried to save, they've all left an imprint, taught me something about myself and the world in which I live. There was one sheep in particular that changed my life forever.

I think maybe that sheep was the most influential, really. She was at the Topsfield Fair being shown in the 4H sheep tent. I squatted down to see her at eye level and pet her. She nuzzled my face and that was it. I decided right then and there that I would stop eating meat.

I had been reading a lot about vegetarianism and the impact livestock farming is having on our planet but hadn't made the final commitment to giving up meat. I had stopped eating meat the previous spring but when I smelled the first cookout of the summer, it was all over. In November of 1988 I stopped eating meat. In December of 1988 I stopped wearing leather and using products that contained animal-derived ingredients. In October of 2009, I finally gave up dairy, eggs and honey. I feel lighter, healthier and happier, knowing that I'm not harming other animals and I'm taking better care of myself.

Becoming vegan is probably the single most important thing I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment