Friday, April 17, 2009

Charlotte Evangeline

My Grandmother was a very talented woman.
Not only was she a good cook, she could sew
anything, and I mean ANYTHING. She was also a potter.
She didn't throw on the wheel, she was a hand-builder
and she sold her wares at Plymouth Pottery, run by
Miss Alden, last of THE Alden line, so I was told.
Plymouth Pottery was located in the Sparrow House
on Summer Street. Part of the house is a 17th-
century historical site, and part of it is an art
and fine craft gallery.

One of the things she made a lot of were
Plymouth Rocks. She had one in cast iron that
she made a mold from and then made ceramic
versions to sell in the store. It was a big hit!
My aunt gave me the mold and my friend
Kendra, also a gifted artist, recently made me
a few.
A couple of weeks ago, Ian and I were browsing
through an antique mall in New Bedford and
came across a wall hanging with a sticker on it
that said Plymouth Pottery. I picked it up and
turned it over and there was my gramma's
scratched in name and date! It was oddly exciting
that I found one of her pieces in an antique store.
1977, I was a sophomore/junior in high school.
I guess that makes me an antique too!


2 comments: